16 July 2007

the majestic rockies

my entrance into the park was one of the most beautiful things i have ever seen. the sun was shining through rain clouds over the lake in estes park with the snow covered mountains in the background. and the drive over trail ridge road is at times, breath-taking. the alpine tundra is a rare place to be able to go to, where the environment is too harsh for trees to grow and the flowers take years to grow a mere inch. there was a lot less snow then when i was here last year but it was no less beautiful.
the campground i wanted to stay at was full that first night so i stayed at this weird place just outside the park. but next morning i went and staked out the place i realy wanted to stay. i love camping. but only in the right circumstances. i enjoy doing it alone but still being around people can make me uncomfortable. my problem is that i'm too self conscious. being such a people watcher, i guess i assume that people watch me too and that makes me nervous. i am not new to camping, i've been doing it all my life, but i feel like i look like a novice. as if having a tent from rei instead of target and having my table covered with stuff at all times would make me more secure in being a lone camper. i tend to feel sorry for people when they do things alone because it makes me think that they are lonely. but that is not always true. i think of that when i do stuff by myself even though i've chosen to do whatever it is by myself. i wish i could know that people don't pay any attention to me but in reality, i just need to get over myself. (actually, this really nice woman in a campsite next to mine was very friendly and welcomed me and gave me wood chips to help start a fire. that made the weekend better.)
yesterday i went on a 10 1/2 mile hike. one area i hiked by had a lovely little pond covered in lily pads and a couple trees growing next to it. i could have spent most of my day there but i had other things to get to. so from there i went on to a place called big meadow which was just that. it had a stream running through it and wildflowers and beautiful views of the mountains surrounding it. and the clouds have been so amazing! then i continued on to my real goal which was granite falls. i almost felt like i was never going to get there, the trail just kept going and slip-on vans are not the best hiking shoes. but it was all worth it. the waterfall was so cold, but that felt good to my weary feet and i even dunked my head in. i ate lunch there and took some pictures and it was lovely. then i began my 5 mile hike back which of course didn't seem to take as long. when i was about a quarter mile from my car, a dark cloud passed over head, there was a roll of thunder, and it started pouring. it was actually a great way to end my long hike.
now i am about to leave and it's bittersweet. my time here has been really fun but i am also excited to go to pueblo and see angela. so, my road trip adventure continues...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

damn you and your awesome adventures....but seeing you smile makes it all better...besides, i got my own adventures,...like the brakes going out on the car i was driving in downtown boston yesterday, and having to use the e-brake all the way home....see, adventure, danger...the life of the pirate...

i hope to hear your voice soon....

---joe---